As one of the most ancient universities in Europe, the University of Pisa was officially founded in 1343 by Pope Clement VI, with the edict “In supremae dignitatis”, but some lectures on law had been existed since 11th century. During its long history, the University of Pisa had some famous students and professors like: Giosuè Carducci (poet and Nobel Prize winner), Carlo Azeglio Ciampi (former President of the Italian Republic), Pope Clement XII, Galileo Galilei (famous scientist, who was student and then professor), Carlo Rubbia (physicist and Nobel Prize winner), etc..
In 1969, at the university of Pisa was born the first Faculty of Computer Science, and in 1983 the first PhD in the field was created.
Nowadays the University counts 20 Departments, 17 libraries, 13 museums and collections, and on December the 31st 2016 it counts more than 50000 students, 1295 professors and 1537 between technicians, clerks and secretaries.
In the academic year 2016/2017, 58 master I degree courses were present, 65 master II degree courses, 9 single cycle master’s degrees and 21 PhD courses.
The Veterinary Science Department of the University of Pisa organizes research activities and students’ formation in veterinary, agriculture and biological fields.
The actual headquarters of the department, located in Viale delle Piagge 2, was inaugurated in 1965 and include, offices, classrooms, a library and the museum of veterinary anatomy.
On March the 1st 2000, was opened the first building of the department of veterinary clinic in San Piero a Grando (Pisa), and nowadays, in that location a 24H university veterinary hospital is present.
In San Piero a Grado is also present the structure named “Podere le Querciole”, another detached unit of the veterinary department. In this unit is located, since 1970, the aviculture university chair and the university small species research and breeding station. In this structure researchers are able to conduct investigations on small species (chickens, rabbits, ducks, hares, and wild fowls) performances and work on conservation of Italian local chickens’ populations.
Nowadays, four chicken local breeds’ populations are preserved and studies at the research center: Livorno, Siciliana, Ancona and Robusta Lionata.
Among these, the Siciliana and the Livorno are at the moment under evaluation on behalf of the Italian ministry of agriculture.
Dr.ssa Marzoni Margherita
Dipartimento di Scienze Veterinarie
Viale delle Piagge, 2 – 56124 Pisa
This post is also available in: Italian
Università degli Studi di Milano